Sunday, January 23, 2011

I came into this course not really knowing what we would be looking at in terms of visual literature. Coming from a background of graphic design I am very aware of how visual symbols play a role in our everyday lives but had not really fully applied that knowledge to my classroom. The definintions and explanations in the first three required chapters have really helped me not get a better grip on what we will be doing here.

I did find it a little ironic that a text book teaching about visual literacy is so poorly designed.  The type is so small and line spacing so condensed that I actually had to use a note card to help keep my place on the page. The typeface itself is one that is no easily read in that small of print.

Poor design set aside I have a much better idea of what we will be learning.  I find myself looking at the commercials on television now instead of recording and skipping them. When I watch a movie I am looking for the visual cues that help with the story. I am looking forward to class and hearing what others have gained from the first chapters.

No comments:

Post a Comment