Monday, September 17, 2012

The true beginnings....

I have been hearing about PLN's for a lot of years and kind of blew off the idea, thinking it was just another thing I had to do in an already busy day. No one really explained exactly what a PLN could do for me and why it would be to my benefit. I really thought it was another craze and it would pass like all the others. As I have worked my way through the Masters in Instructional Technology program at UNI I have learned the purpose for and advantages of creating a PLN.
Today as I was reading my text for Emerging Instructional Technology I found several links for resources for library, technolgoy and art teachers. One that stood out to me was TeacherLibrarianNing. On the front page of this site right now is a PLN starter kit. I am excited to begin exploring this resource along with an art educators site. Working in a small private school I don't really have people within my building to brainstorm with, or bounce ideas around with. I am on my own when it comes to planning and figuring out what I can do to keep library interesting and to find new projects to complete in art. I don't want my students to be doing the same art projects their older brothers and sisters have done for years. Having quality resources to go to has been such a blessing.
If you are new to building a PLN check out The Innovative Educator Blog for 5 steps to begin building your own personal learning network.

5 comments:

  1. I like how you began your posting with a personal reflection and then discussed what you had discovered about PLNs. Your reference to the Innovative Educator posting about building your own PLN was good, but it would have been useful to have provided more information about what was covered in the posting.

    Keep it up.

    Z

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra,

    I was also not sure about PLN at first and I did not really know what they were. After going to your website with the 5 steps it really helped me get started and it also helped me understand what exactly a PLN is and what it can do!

    -Austin

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sandra!
    What a great post. Isn't it great the different things we find out about technology that we never heard of that can help us out? I had the exact same thoughts as you about PLNs. Just another thing that would eventually fly by and no one would use. I really liked your personal connection, and I will definitely be checking out the link to the 5 steps! That sounds very helpful! Great blog!

    Nora

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Sandra,

    You mentioned that you don't have anybody at your school to bounce ideas off of. Well, that's seem to be the best thing about the Internet and blogs in general. There is always someone that has the same interests as you that would be willing to communicate with you. The trick is finding those people. But, given that you are in this program I bet there is someone in at least one of your classes that you can bounce ideas off of.

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Sandra,

    Great post! I understand being in a small district...back years ago, I only had the chance to really interact with subject area colleagues at conferences and workshops. I so looked forward to making those connections. I think it is awesome you found resources to make those connections...any place...any time!

    Joel Weeks

    ReplyDelete