Sunday, September 16, 2012

Thoughts on thinking

I read a new blog this evening about thinking written by Grant Wiggins.  The article was entitled "Thinking about a lack of thinking" Now before you think that all this thinking is making your brain hurt take a few minutes and read the article. I started to think about how many times I just give information with out any real explanation as to why my students need to know what I am telling them? Is this why I can go over the Dewey Decimal System with each grade level every year and by the time they are in 8th grade they still do not recall or remember how to apply this knowledge. I need to make them think or to be more thoughtful and look for meaning and personal value in what I am teaching them. It is difficult to teach students how to look up and locate books on the library shelves when they have resources at their finger tips most hours of the day. Many of my students have an iPad, Kindle, Nook or a smart phone to read their books on, they see no value in the library. My goal for this year is to get my students to be more thoughtful about print resources. To expose them to the wonders of a library and to show them all the places they can go with their mind and a book. I am open to suggestions.....anyone?
I had students that begged me not to show the video! So of course I had to look up what video they were talking about. Hmmmm...maybe it is just obnoxious enough for them to remember.
What do you think, will this get them to be more thoughtful about using the library?

2 comments:

  1. Sandra,

    I experience what you describe these days. My daughter, a junior at high school, reads books on Kindle. She takes it day and night in her bag and every week gets another new book. She was a good reader also before she transferred to Kindle. However, I think, this made it even more convenient for her to think that there is a piece of electronics with hundreds of books loaded.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sandra,

    It is quite amazing how one device can hold 1000's of books! It is hard to believe that students find the library as a useless tool. As an elementary student I always enjoyed going to the library to get new books! Good luck with switching the attitudes of your students!

    ReplyDelete