Saturday, September 15, 2012

Variety is the spice of life



I have been exploring  many blogs this past week as I work to create my reading list. The majority of the blogs I have on my list are education and technology related such as Dangerously Irrelevant, eSchool News, Free Technology for Teachers, The 21st Century Principal, and Cool Cat Teacher Blog. These are all excellent blogs on education with posts that deal with many different topics covered, from classroom management to technology integration. All of them provide me with relevant information about my profession  and good ideas and tools that I can explore. I have gained a great deal of knowledge from all of these sources. I don't always agree with everything I read but it gets  me thinking about what I do believe and how I can make change for the better in my educational setting. With  this said the one blog that I go to first is lifehacker.com. I like this blog because it has a wide variety of subjects that it covers that range from DIY projects to simple tips on ways to make your life easier and more organized. When reading the same subject the majority of the time it is nice to take a mental break and read posts that go beyond ed/tech. There are a lot of posts each day to this blog but I scroll through I can pick and choose what I want to read about, I can then begin an adventure of leaning about many new topics. Curiosity didn't kill the at it just opened a whole new world of knowledge.

6 comments:

  1. Sandra,

    One statement from your post really stuck with me after reading your post: "I don't always agree with everything I read but it gets me thinking about what I do believe and how I can make change for the better in my educational setting." I think that this insightful statement is one that we all can learn from. It is important to "filter" what you read, see, or hear. Being able to distinguish between what you do believe and what you don't agree with is important in the field of education. I look forward to reading more of your posts and learning about some of your beliefs throughout this semester.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Emily,
      There is so much information out there about what and how to teach that it is a bit overwhelming at times. But, if you only listen to one point of view and blindly follow, how do you ever know that you are on the right track? That is what I love about blogs, it keeps me thinking about what I am doing everyday and asking the question, "Am I doing what is best or just doing what is familiar and safe?" Through reading about some of the fantastic and sometimes bizaar things people are doing keeps me focused on making sure I am not getting stuck in the safe zone.
      Sandra

      Delete
  2. Hi Sandra,

    I concur with Emily. We do not always have to agree with everything, but it is important to review what people are saying.

    Thanks for mentioning lifehacker. I checked it out, very helpful!

    Thanks,
    Joel Weeks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Joel,
      Isn't lifehacker awesome. It is so random, I love it.
      Sandra

      Delete
  3. Sandra,

    I really like that you use blogs as a means of professional development. Until I had heard about them in my Ed Tech and Design class I had never given them the time of day. After exploring what they have to offer I find like you that they are incredibly resourceful. I like the fact that you can pick and choose which ones apply to you and that you can find a blog about any topic at hand that interests you. I also like the fact that many of the writers use personal stories to help iterate the point(s) they are trying to make.

    Megan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Megan,
      When you have some free time (I know, what is free time?) try clicking the next blog buttom at the top of the page. It is fun to get random blogs and see what is out there.
      Sandra

      Delete