Monday, February 28, 2011

aha moment 2-28-2011

When I was reading through chapter fourteen, Use of Visuals in Schools, from our text book I really began to think abou the images I have placed in my classroom. Why did I choose the images that are here. I have a small sign on my wall in Japanese writing that is translated to mean teacher Steinfadt. I have the required notices about room rules and expectataions and lunch menus and all that busy stuff that no one really looks at unless they are bored. I also have a large poster of Einstein with several of his quotes and lastly I have a small poster of rock climbers at sunset that says, "I can because I think I can." I have shelves full of books and several computers.  I choose to have books in my room because I am comfortable  surrounded by books and it shows that I value reading. I have my positive message poster because it is a message that I repeat often to my students, that when you say that you can't you have already defeated yourself. You have to believe in yourself before anyone else will. I have Einstein because I liked it and really no other reason.


Reading this chapter has made me think of how I use visuals when I teach second grade reading and how can I use them more often.  I have a group this year that has a hard time focusing and I think that if I tried to use a visuals more maybe it would help them.  They like to talk and have some great background information that could be promted by visuals. I don't teach in my own room so I will have to find the items I want to use and bring them with me. The room they are in now is very steril, nothing extra. It has exactly what is expected and not one thing more. As I read the chapter I found myself pictureing this room and how it would look different if it were mine. I think that I will be working harder to find visuals to add to my lessons that have a purpose and will teach students how to use and view them with a critical eye.

I do find it interesting that no  matter what I put on my walls the one thing that always catches the attention of students more than anything else is only about 3 inches wide and 5 inches tall. It is a bright yellow box with black capital letters that spell out "DIASTER." In the middle of this bright yellow box there is a red circle with white capital letters that spell out "PUSH". Every student that comes into my room no matter what grade level K-12 asks what would happen if I pushed this? It is like it is screaming "PUSH ME" to all that enter.

No comments:

Post a Comment