Wednesday, February 9, 2011

Super Bowl Commercials

I spent some time on Monday watching the commercials that had aired the night before. I didn't get the opportunity to watch them first hand. I must admit I was a little disappointed by them this year.  Usually they are much funnier. There were a couple that stood out, the mini Darth Vader was awesome, cracked me up. I also like the bud light dogs, just because they included so many cliches in such a small shot, you just knew that there had to be dogs playing poker and yep there they were in the end.
I was most offended by the Pepsi Max ads, I don't get why they thought hitting a person in the head with a soda can and then running away was funny, not even slapstick funny. I really believe they missed the mark this year.
I was listening to Bob and Tom on Tuesday and they were talking about the ads as well, they had a guest on that was analysing them. It was interesting to hear the point of view of someone from the advertising industry. They were talking about how well the ads promote the products they are trying to sell and how most people will remember the ad but have no idea what it was selling. I kind of thought then what is the point in spending millions on this ad that no one remembers your product from.  I suppose that you get company name recognition even if you don't get product recognition.
Someone asked what is the  most memorable super bowl ad, the first one that came to my mind was the Apple one with the 1984 reference. That was also the one that he mentioned first. Second was the Mean Joe Green Coke ad. I don't think there will be any this year that stand out as memorable.
I did find that I was looking at the ads differently when I watched them this time.  I looked for hidden meaning or subtext. Camera angles and focal points. I watch a few of them more than once to look for different aspects.

No comments:

Post a Comment