Monday, March 7, 2011

children's creativity

There seems to be the idea out there that children are losing their creativity. I can see where this may be true with some children when they are so over scheduled that they don't ever have a chance to be a kid.
When I came home from class tonight I found my daughters drawings and paintings on the table and the living room looked like a tornado had gone through. She was in the bathtub with a clear plastic bucket over her head pretending to be a spaceman going into outer space, because it was dark outside and you can see outerspace. She is a funny  kid and is very creative. I love to watch her play and listen to her as she is making her dolls talk. I wish I could video tape it but everytime I get the camera out she turns into super ham and I can't just get her playing. 
I believe if we give kids toys that allow them to be creative, like blocks, dolls, trucks, and art supplies they will use that creative spirit that is in all children. But if we schedule every minute of their day and never allow them to make a mess than we stifle that natural creativity. Video games and such are OK and can be very educational but we need to mix in the toys that require kids to think on their own.

No comments:

Post a Comment