Monday, March 14, 2011

March 14, aha moment

My husband and I were watching television the other night and a commercial came on and the guy was on the couch, he has a cold and he is whining becasue he can't reach the remote. My husband looks up and says why do they always make men act so helpless when they are sick? He was annoyed by the commercial and how it portrayed men. This brought me back to our conversations after we watched Killing me Softly. Many thought that men were not as bothered or harmed as much by their portrayal in the media as women. I believe they are. The image of them being helpless or stupid sends a negative message and creates a negative stereotype. I don't know if this started so that woman could be made to look stronger and break the stereo type that they are the weaker sex. I would ask how does going in the opposite direction and to an extreme to make a point any better than the stereo type that already existed. It is almost as if the stupid male has taken the place of the dumb blonde.

No comments:

Post a Comment